What is Montessori Education?
A child has a natural inclination to learn. Fostering that inclination in a thoughtfully prepared learning environment is the basis of the Montessori method of teaching. It is focused on the whole child developing their physical, social, emotional and cognitive potential. Gilpin Montessori prepares students to step out into the world as engaged, competent, responsible and respectful citizens who will appreciate that they can learn all of their lives.
The Montessori Method was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori. It has been time-tested with over 100 years of success in diverse cultures worldwide.
The tenants of Montessori education are:
- Each child is valued as a unique individual.
- Beginning at an early age, Montessori students develop order, coordination, concentration and independence.
- Students are part of a close, caring community.
- Montessori students enjoy freedom within parameters set by their teachers.
- Students are supported in becoming active seekers of knowledge.
- Self-correction and self-assessment are an integral part of the Montessori classroom approach.